tube tester

Malcolm Leonard radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jul 24 10:53:21 EDT 2004

Assuming you mean a Heathkit tube tester,all models *except* the TT-1 are
emission testers with essentially the same circuit.
The TT-1 is a mutual conductance type based on a Weston tester circuit
aqquired by Heath in what was apparently a Heath-Weston merger.Some people
love the TT-1;some hate it.
Mutual conductance testers give a more complete test but unless you do
audiophile tube comparison work may not be necessary.People have strong
personal opinions about the need for one type of tube tester or the other.
Be aware that *any* tube tester you buy from eBay is almost certain to need
work before you can depend on accurate readings.
The TT-1 has internal calibration pots (I am told this..I don't own
one,myself)but other Heath models do not have these calibration pots,so you
"calibrate" them by replacing any caps and checking all resistors for change
of value and cleaning all pots and switches.Also check out the diode.
After you are done with the above steps,*if* the meter movement is ok(no
sticking needle,no loss of magnetic strength)your readings should be
accurate.
Heathkit tube testers are easy to get schematics,manuals and roll chart data
for,which can be a big a big,cost savings advantage.
Be aware that cold solder joints and wiring mistakes and terminals the
builder just forgot to solder at all,are *very* common in all kit built
instruments and if you have a problem you might need to re-solder some/all
joints.
Malcolm Leonard