SB-401 Parts AM filter question?

Stephen C. Finch stevef88 at MSN.COM
Mon Jun 21 21:00:14 EDT 2004

Fred,

AM filter:

Under normal circumstances, a 3.75 kHz filer would be somewhat narrow.
However, that filter has a relatively wide skirt and therefore does not
cut-off the signal very quickly.  I had the filer in my SB-303 and it did
just fine.  Besides, the typical spacing for shortwave broadcasts is 5 kHz
so the 3.75 should "do the trick."

By the way, I have a 6 kHz in my FT-100D and it is too wide.  A 4.5 kHz
would have been better as that filter has relatively steep cut-offs.

Steve
AIØW

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of FRED HOLNAGEL
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 2:49 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: SB-401 Parts AM filter question?

.  For sale excellant panel for the 401 with plastic escutsion plate with
"Heathkit" and "SB- 401" emblems sharp and unscratched. All silk screen ing
sharp and unworn. $20.00
Panel meter, clear face. $12.50
Power xfmr. $15.00
Set of tube pulls minus the finals and one small tube $10.00
Other parts, what do you need?

All above plus shipping from 98661

Question:  I have what i think is the AM filter for an SB-303 receiver
marked 3.75 khz. (Seems narrow?)  On one side is stamped 2171. Part number
is 404-M285P364.  The 2171 has me stymied. (Kit part #?)  Thanks!