HP-20 Schematic

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 11 09:57:32 EST 2004

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:59:16 -0600, Bill Stietenroth wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>I'm new to the list and have been lurking for a while but this post from
>>Charles stirred up a question that I have been pondering over. I too have
>>had trouble getting schematics from BAMA lately. I don't think it is
>>overcrowding, I think he has had trouble with the DJVue stuff and the
>>site has suffered for it. I have gone to the mirror site and downloaded
>>an HP13 schematic but it is in JPG format and when it prints it is too
>>grainy to read the detail on. Does anyone know how to make them print in
>>a usable fashion?
>>This Circuitarchive site has lots of good schematics on it but they too
>>are in JPG format. What am I doing wrong trying to print these
>>schematics?
>>
>>Bill, K5ZTY
>>Houston, TX

Actually, GIF is a far superior compression tool for "line art" such
as schematic diagrams.  GIF generates far fewer artifacts,
(fuzzies,) around all the lines and type than JPG.  JPG  was
designed for photographs with very few straight lines or edges.

DjVu will print fine direct from the program.  If you want to print
a single page, you have to "click" inside the page itself.   If you
just select a page from the thumbnails and hit print, it'll print
the whole document.

All these formats have "degree of compression" adjustments.  You can
select how much compression and how much resolution at compression.
  The best program I have found is XnView.  A Google search will
turn up the site.  It has just about every format known to man, with
a full range of adjustment.  Many of the documents on BAMA are
oversize, and if you try to print them directly, you'll get just a
portion of the page.  XnView will automatically size it to the page
size of your printer and recover a clean print.  XnView does NOT do
DjVu.  The browser plug-in from the originator "Lizardtech" is the
only one that I have found to work consistently.  IrfanView has a
DjVu plug-in, but I have found it to be only partly effective.

Get a copy of XnView and experiment with the "options" button when
compressing.  Unfortunately, if a file is compressed at the wrong
settings for the type of file, it's difficult to make it any better!

The HP-20 file prints just fine directly from DJVu from Lizardtech.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta