Printing Schematics with Microsoft XP Paint

Charles Seitz cseitz at ENTER.NET
Thu Mar 11 11:27:36 EST 2004

If you are using Windows XP, revisit using the
included Paint assessory.  I did not find Paint
to be very useful with Windows 98 and ME.  It
did not support many file formats and its
printing options were limited.  The XP version
now supports most graphics formats including
PNG (I think that means Portable Network Graphics).

Using the Explorer file manager, right click on the
file name and choose 'Open With'.  Then select
Paint.

If Paint is not an option then click on 'Choose Program...'.
Select Paint on the list and say OK.  If you find
yourself doing this often, you can add Paint to the
right click context menu by checking the box under the
programs list.

When you have opened the file, try some simple edits to
clean up the schematic for printing.  Then, view the
'Print Preview' under the 'File' menu.  It clearly shows the pages
to be printed.  If you want everything on a single page, first
visit 'Page Setup ...' and set up Page Scaling to print 1 by 1
page(s).

Try Legal size paper for more printing space if the image
aspect ratio is closer to that paper size.

Using my HP-895CXI inkjet, I have found printouts of well
prepared scans to be quite legible for all file formats.  I'm not
sure if Glen's 75% reduction in printed resolution for GIF is
absolutely correct; in practice I can discern small details of
complex schematics on single page printouts.

                                          ---  CHAS  WA2DYA