help with Sb104a counter board

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Sat May 29 09:10:35 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/28/04 22:37:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ki8fb at JUNO.COM
writes:

> when the radio is turned on and no matter where the band switch is the
> diplay does not show the correct frequency. After half an hour or 45 min
> it will show the correct frequency. Any ideas?

Kevin,

Suggest you give the bandswitch a careful and thorough cleaning for starters.
 Do the same for every plug in board and finally, take on the onerous task of
removing ---- cleaning ---- and re-installing every plug in chip you
encounter.  The use of the tiniest amount of DeOxId is recommended.  Sometimes,
"re-springing" the legs of the IC's will give them a better "bite" in their sockets.
 The heating and cooling effects will, over time, cause some IC's to work
loose.  In addition, tighten every thru-hole fastener.  This tedious "overhaul"
of the rig will usually work wonders.  I'll not detail cleaning and overhaul of
the VFO should it come to that -------- let's hope you don't need to go that
far.

I've owned three 104A's (still have one in the shack) and the above
procedures proved to be the only way to get the rig to settle down and act normally.
One of mine had the exact problem you describe and it was a "mechanical" issue
------- not necessarily one of electronic component failure.

Your mileage may vary here, but good luck anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

73 de W4MIL
Chuck