Clock Receiver Capacitor Update

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at LMCENG.COM
Fri Nov 5 22:20:48 EST 2004

My previous email reported the results of replacing ten wet electrolytic
capacitors in my Heathkit Most Accurate Clock. That covered all boards
except the factory-assembled WWV receiver. Replacing the ten capacitors
returned the clock to full operation but left unanswered the question of
the capacitors on the Receiver PWB.

I have now replaced the five wet electrolytic capacitors on the Receiver
PWB with the following results:

Receiver PWB
C301   100 uF  measures    76 uF
C353    10 uF  measures   6.7 uF
C354    10 uF  measures   7.1 uF
C355   220 uF  measures     6 uF
C357   220 uF  measures    86 uF

Only one of these was nearly open but all were significantly aged. Due
to the location of the Receiver PWB, these capacitors probably ran
cooler than the ones on the Tone Decoder and Main boards. Even so, all
these capacitors are out-of-spec and one capacitor was nearly open-circuit.

I conclude that 18 years is just too long for commercial wet
electrolytic capacitors to remain effective.

So, as you look at your aging electronic equipment, give a thought to
those wet electrolytic capacitors!

My Most Accurate Clock is now working "good as new" and I look forward
to another 18 years of service!
--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)