D-104 mic and HW-100

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Nov 17 23:59:08 EST 2004

Tom,

Either position will work as explained in the D104g manual
but the 'R' position is prefered for the HW-100.

The amplifiers are not required for the HW100 or any of the
SB- transmitters. They are intended to match the HiZ mic to
the LoZ input of transistorized rigs. The G stand did not
originally have an amplifier, but was added as a kit. The
amplifier is not well designed and unless adjusted properly
will overdrive the AF preamp in the HW-100.

BTW, that battery going dead means a miswire. The amp draws
about 6mA and the battery should last forever

I use an unamplified D104 with my SB-401 and I usually run
the MicGain at 12:00 with close talking. It works well with
good frequency responce.

You will need a DJVU viewer to read these files.
T-UG8  http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/astatic/d104tg  look
on page 2 or 3
  G         http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/astatic/d104

Below is a link where I replaced a bad crystal element in a
104 with a RadioShack electret element. (I later removed the
amplifier). This is my main mic.
 http://home.earthlink.net/~s.d.lyon/images/D104/

73, Stu W6CUX
(I guess old-timer means me)