What is it?

Technotronic Dimensions steve at TECHNOTRONIC-DIMENSIONS.COM
Tue Nov 30 21:11:57 EST 2004

If it was used in a Military or Aircraft application, its most likely
Conformal coating. There are several approved types and specs used depending
on the equipment application.

I worked as an Avionics Technician for years before I went more into the
consumer electronics stuff, and it was common to see conformal coating on
the circuit boards  - even in sealed waterproofed cases. It helps components
last longer by sealing in their moisture, and they dry out slower over time.
Very good for capacitors especially.

The only sure fire way to remove it would be a bath in laquer thinner, which
is probably not the safest solution, and would risk dissolving or degrading
other things in the area that are sensitive. Id say just leave it on, and if
you want to make it look better, try spraying some Krylon crystal clear
coating over it. We would use this in a pinch when we had to break the
coating for a repair on a board for an avionics box.

Steve Hearns
Technotronic Dimensions, NY [USA]
WWW.TECHNOTRONIC-DIMENSIONS.COM
1-877-817-9885 (Voice / Fax Toll Free - US Only)
E-Mail: Steve at Technotronic-Dimensions.com