SB 200 question

Ray Friess rayfri at HIGHSTREAM.NET
Tue Nov 30 22:16:58 EST 2004

I'd like to ask a question and I am hoping it does not ignite a storm of
profanity and protest
as it did on the boatanchors forum....   I am not looking for an indepth
discussion of theory
or anything like that.  Just a quick, simple answer to a question that
puzzled me tonight...
so that I can get a quick idea if maybe my sb 200 is way below par.
Perhaps a power
supply problem....
I dont know if this has come up here before or not .... I, frankly, dont
get a lot of the posts
here....

I notice the SB 200 meter is calibrated up to 3000 volts for plate
voltage...

What should be the typical plate voltage reading on the SB 200 amplifier
meter when wired
for 120 volt transformer primary input?  I can't find anything on this
in the manual.
    Mine shows 1800 volts ... which, if loaded to the manual
recommended 500 mils, would
be about 900 watts ....    That makes sense because the SB 200  is a KW
amplifier....

However, my friend's SB 200 meter shows about 2300 to 2400 volts and his
is wired for 220
volts transformer primary voltage....     He says he gets about 750
watts out when using about 80 to
90 watts out from the exciter...

Does the house voltage it is wired for make a difference in what the
plate voltage is and what it
would show on the plate voltage meter scale?

Thanks for any help.  I am sure, if this has come up before, we can
dispose of it quickly without a lot of
in depth theory discussion.....