Heathkit cult

Davies, Doug A FOR:EX Doug.Davies at GEMS3.GOV.BC.CA
Fri Oct 15 14:13:00 EDT 2004

>>Anyone tried to take an FT-1000MP apart lately? Jeez.

Brian, W0DZ<<

Further to this point, I recently spoke with a two-way technician here in
town about this very subject.  He told me they really don't troubleshoot
much any more.  He said the customer simply can't afford it.  He showed me a
computer interface that they use with one brand of commercial radios they
sell and service.  It plugs into the radio and, with a few diagnostic
routines, tells the "technician" what the problem is and which board to
change out to fix the problem.  This fellow told me that at shop rates of
$60.00/hour and up, the customer can't afford to have anyone troubleshoot
their radios anymore.  And, with SMT becoming the norm, he says that more
often than not, one ruins five parts trying to replace one. Ten minutes with
the computer and the radio is out the door.

This guy is a relative oldtimer and he concurs with the assesment that new
"technicians" coming out school now have limited basic skills when it comes
to actually working on radios. Things like proper soldering techniques and
the correct way to assemble a coax connector have to be taught on the job.
He still refuses to use crimp-on connectors, by the way <grin>.  So, I think
many of the posts are correct in that ham radio as many of us knew it is a
dying hobby.  It's proceeding rapidly to a plug-and-play world.

Doug  VA7DD