Heathkit cult

Murray Leshner murrayatwork at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 17 22:55:00 EDT 2004

I don't think Heath could have dealt with in the past nor create in the
future from generic staff, the kind of attitude it takes to service
'high-end' audio people.

They want to know what Siberian zirconium mine the getter material was
extracted from and what phase the moon was in and what degree of vacuum was
attained in manufacturing the particularly golden tubes, which of course
have been matched to a high degree, burned in, and ear-tested with analog
music only. If not, you could be expected to be flamed on every internet
user's group and letter to the editor in the golden-ear rags.

I remember Erno Borbely's work (he has a tube amp project also).

As far as fools that don't know how to keep themselves out of the
undertaker's shop when working on hv gear, in fairness, that info is hardly
taught anywhere anymore, because so few people work with it. Maybe
electrician training covers that. I'm not sure digital-oriented curricula
nowadays warn people about getting bit. The concern seems to have shifted
from shock hazard to fire hazard with LV, high current products prevalent
nowadays.

We DIY'ers are a unique group, with tribal knowledge passed across
generations. Some of our wisdom is anecdotal and difficult to find published
for referral to other readers, and some even perpetuates incorrect
assumptions (like why in the world some people insist on calling a BALUN
(BAL-UN, as in BALanced-to-UNbalanced, a BALUM, pronounced BAY-LUM, as in
who knows what?)

Anyway, audio is a very tough market.

Murray