Shipping a SB-230

Ray Friess rayfri at HIGHSTREAM.NET
Sat Oct 30 11:37:55 EDT 2004

I have shipped an SB 200 by mail and it got there just fine.   I usually
ship by mail instead of
UPS because postal workers dont have the same lack of impulse control
that I found with UPS
workers and dont drop kick or toss a package around.     In the case of
the 200, I took the tubes
out and packaged them separately and mailed them.   When I bought a new
200, the same thing
was done by the seller ...    Just use lots of cushioning material and
youll be fine.    For the tubes,
I used BOTH bubble wrap and peanuts...      wrap them in bubble wrap
then surround them with
peanuts in the shipping box.

You shouldnt have to do anything other than reinsert them in their
socket because all the biasing
and other adjustments will not change just be removing and reinserting
the same tubes.

One other note ....  it might seem like it would cost a lot to postal
ship a linear.... but I have
always found that it is usually only slightly more expensive than UPS,
even for an sb 200 linear....
And I would rather pay the slight difference and get the item to the
buyer or from the seller in one
piece than get a package that has been used as a shotput by a UPS
worker....     sometimes I think
they purposefully try to see what the heaviest package weighs that they
can pick up and toss.....

In all the time I've postal shipped, I have had only ONE rig that
arrived at the buyers with any
damage ... that was an Ameco TX 62 transmitter that had a broken final
in it when it arrived.  It
turned out that while I left the tube in its socket, I had not put
enough newspaper inside the
transmitter to keep it in place...   so it was my fault, not the post
office.

Ray  wa7itz