Shipping a SB-230

Murray Leshner murrayatwork at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 30 11:48:55 EDT 2004

You will never be sorry if you take the time and effort to pack it like it's
going to be dropped from an airplane!

I do not skimp on packaging, especially on a hard-to-replace item. When you
think it's packed well enough, ask yourself again and add a couple more
inches of material. Double box is a good idea for the chassis part. The
surface area of the inner box will distribute any inertial energy over the
whole side of the box. Loose,in peanuts, or even single-boxed with foam
wrap, and a corner may work it's way thru if dropped. If it's inadaequately
packed and damaged, bad-mouthing the shipping is little consolation, and
they are likely to recognize inadequate packing better than the average guy.

Few shipping places have the 2-part foam-in-place chemical. It's like the
stuff you fill air leaks in your hous with. They inject some into box, it
starts expanding like crazy, they lay a sheet or two of plastic over it, lay
the equipment in and it forms an SB-230 shaped  cavity. More plastic, more
foam, more plastic and close the box. When you open it you will have a
SB-230 that could not move in shipment. Heath used to advise removal of the
transformer at times for shipping. IF you can find foam-in-place service, I
wouldn't worry about the xfmr tearing free of the sheet metal (I have seen
this at Heath). If you kluge together a box with what you have available,
you may not be lucky.

Definitely ship the tube separately.

Murray