Ethics of Junking a DX-35

Tom Chesek tchesek at EPIX.NET
Thu Sep 2 23:44:21 EDT 2004

The "perfect" radios are often expensive (let's not get into a debate on
what is expensive...it is relative to your personal resources). I too
appreciate a "perfect" radio but I hate to destroy items that have value. It
seems to me that the DX-35 that you have can be made functional again and
still retain a nice appearance. By what I see in your picture it looks like
a set that would be nice in someone's shack or collection.

73,
Tom  k3tvc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sykes" <mark at MARKSYKES.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 4:56 PM
Subject: Ethics of Junking a DX-35

I happened upon a DX-35 in decent shape other than a defective power
transformer and the iron vane meter had been replaced.  This unit includes
the crystal door on the back, original knobs (if a red drive knob is
genuine; I've only seen B/W pictures before today), no holes, the plastic
'Heathkit' nameplate on the escutcheon and the original manual.  All for $20
shipping included; here is a picture: http://marksykes.net/dx35.jpg There is
a 6725 Khz crystal inside - not sure what it or any of its overtones would
do for a ham.

I had originally purchased it so I could junk it for the parts as I would
like to build a small crystal-controlled tube CW transmitter.  Now that I
get it home and look it in the front panel, I'm having some second thoughts.
There are only so many DX-35 transmitters left around and I already have
about as many tank coils and plate/loading caps as I need.  It's not that I
MUST junk this radio for parts before I can build, it's simply an expedient
source of the right kind of parts.

So, do I replace the power transformer (I have one inside an old TV in the
barn which might do the trick), recap it and make it available to another
ham?  Does the replaced meter make it 'worthless' anyway and I should junk
it?  Am I taking this too seriously?

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Mark Sykes