Cleaning the wafer switches, etc. Best methods.

Craig Roberts crgrbrts at VERIZON.NET
Wed Apr 27 11:12:08 EDT 2005

Robert Myers wrote:

I have an SB-401, and an SB-303.  Both need an especially good cleaning of the wafer switch contacts  ---

DeOxit's excellent (with one reservation).  I use the "pen" applicator
applied directly to the contacts wherever possible and a long syringe
and needle in the more difficult to reach bowels of a radio. I employ
the spray very rarely and then only on ceramic rotary switches and
inside pots and toggle switches.

The reason for this tedious precision is that -- according to some
reports -- DeOxit has been known to penetrate phenolic switch bodies
with unpleasant results. This reportedly can cause swelling and
subsequent damage to the often irreplaceable switch.  I am especially
cautious with Heathkit and Hallicrafters ham gear and any older
broadcast sets since the switch body materials are often poor in these
radios. (This is not an indictment of Heath -- I used to work for them
-- but I know "too much").

Good luck and have fun with your "Benton Harbor S-Line"!

73,

Craig Roberts
W3CRR