Cleaning the wafer switches, etc. Best methods.]

Craig Roberts crgrbrts at VERIZON.NET
Wed Apr 27 14:33:20 EDT 2005

Rob asked if I use the 100% or 5% DeOxit solution when cleaning contacts
and whether or not I follow up with Caig's PreservIT .

Well, I use the 100% solution in the pen and syringe. The contacts in
our old gear are usually very heavily oxidized and filthy and the 5%
stuff doesn't quite cut it (literally). I use Caig's ProGold solution
after cleaning with DeOxit since it provides a slight cleaning action of
its own, plus has the preservative qualities of PreservIT.  I think
PreserveIT would be better for new equipment (or at least newer than our
ancient boatanchors).

Here's another tip:  go to your drug store and buy a supply of
interdental brushes. They're tiny nylon bristle brushes you'll find in
the mouth care/toothpaste section.  These can be dipped in DeOxit and
used to scrub out tube socket pins.  Wiping the tube pins themselves
with DeOxit is a good idea, too.  You'll be amazed at how many problems,
especially intermittents, this 20-minute procedure will cure.

Oh -- a warning:  NEVER use TarnX or similar oxidation remover on silver
contacts.  The action of these liquids will often destroy the very
fragile plating on the contacts, leaving an easily corroded base metal
exposed.  TarnX might work okay if you have the means to immediately and
thoroughly rinse it off the metal, but that's rarely the case. Even
then, I wouldn't risk it.

Simple Green is another oft-used cleaning product that, unless
completely rinsed off, can eventually ruin your radio.

I've found that for general cleaning of old radios -- chassis, panels
and cabinets, that is -- the safest and most effective cleaner isn't
something exotic from a bottle or can, it's simplly a mild detergent,
water and elbow grease.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach. I'm just trying to save y'all from the
nasty effects of mistakes I made early in my restoration career

73,

Craig
W3CRR