Cantenna or Can't I?

Army Curtis acurtis at ANDERSOFT.COM
Wed Apr 27 21:37:50 EDT 2005

Hi Steve,

I have used Heath cantennas for many years now, all filled with genuine
transformer oil (there is an advantage to having worked for the electric
utility company). I have used it with the SB-200 (600 watts PEP), and now
with a Henry 2KD Classic (1200 watts PEP). I think you will melt down your
6HF5's long before you harm the cantenna. Running the Henry amp into it, it
will get pretty warm after some extensive tuning or testing, but it handles
it quite nicely.

If your cantenna has other than transformer oil in it, that can be a
different story that has been covered here many times. In general it will
lower the ability of the cantenna to handle high power for as long a time
that transformer oil will. I do not have any definitive information however
as to just how much less.

Hope this helps.

Army Curtis - AE5P
Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of Stephen Tetorka
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:31 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] Cantenna or Can't I?

Hi all:

Would like to know how many watts ...and how long...I can put into a
Cantenna.

I have a vintage linear I'd like to get up to working...called the Shoebox
II...schematic in July 1967...4 x 6HF5's...200 watts p.e.p. each or 150
watts
c.w.

Also...anybody ever use a halogen bulb for a dummy load?

Regards,
Steve
WA2TAK