Cantenna or Can't I?

Stephen Tetorka StephenTetorka at CS.COM
Thu Apr 28 12:16:34 EDT 2005

Thank you Army and all the other thoughtful persons.

The spec sent to me shows:

1.  Mineral oil is acceptable and equal to transformer oil for input wattages less than 400 and the unit can take up to 30 minutes;
2.  Above 400 watts, transformer oil can take wattages for a little longer time...700 watts @ 15 minutes vs 8 for mineral oil...10 minutes @ 1000 watts vs 2 minutes for mineral oil.
3.  SWR less than 2.0 up to 400 mc.

I could return those 3 x 200 watt lightbulbs back to Lowes...but actually 'seeing power' via the bulb brilliance has its own value...and makes believing all that more 'tangible'...and, if I remember correctly...an old QST article showing data on bulbs as dummy loads ...shows about a 3:1 SWR from the hotter element resistance increase...that's OK for me.

And...the movie by Hallicrafters on the BC610 shows them using large light bulbs to test the unit!

Interesting how this Ham myth survives.

73 to all...looking for you on 3.885 in the evenings with my 550 pounds of 75 watts AM ..model W2PLY homebrew 1948.
Steve
WA2TAK