Details of metalic make up of SB-series wafer switches

Robert Myers rsmyers at ROGERS.COM
Thu Apr 28 17:27:28 EDT 2005

Any metallurgists out there?

Does anyone know definitively what metals are used in the make up of the wafer switches in the Heathkit SB-series radios?  For example, what is the base metal?  What is the plating?  Are all SB-series wafer switch's metal done that same way?

I mean, are they just pure brass, or a thin mild steel base metal that is copper "flashed" then plated with gold, or silver, or tin, or nickel, or brass --- or something else.  I'd like to know as much detail about the physics of the make up of those pieces.  In theory the base metal could be steel, copper, or brass --- or even aluminum (I doubt it's that) which could actually be zinc plated using chloride zinc, or alkaline zinc --- which can look yellow and bright, as if it were just brass, or copper plated with gold, or steel plated with brass.  So who knows?

I know it's a rather esoteric question.

Thanks,
--- Rob VE3 JQL