PCB Fab - Checking to see if there is any interest...

G. Beat gregory.beat at COMCAST.NET
Fri Dec 2 13:45:51 EST 2005

Jim -

While Jerry mentiones a valid point step as part of your overall process -- it is a bit alarmist.  It is one step (contacting Heath for their blessing/approval - IF you intend on using a Heath trademark on the circuit board etch, etc.) in the OVERALL process that would be taken IF the NEED (and market) actually exists for such a product.  I am willing to bet that the original artwork is long gone (and not retained by Heath).

Mike WB8VGE and Harbach have been offering updates for Heath products for a few years.  The availability of a good clean glass epoxy board as a replacement for the original phenolic boards would likely SAVE many SB line equipment from the scrap heap.  This identical step has been performed with Dynaco audio equipment.  Rockwell provided approval to Collins reproduction items for ongoing operation -- when parts are no longer avaialable.

I woudl suggest minor layout changes for currently available through hole components as well as service bulletin changes for the specific board (resistor change, etc.) - so that the board marketed is the last version made.  In this way new repalcmenet baords (already built) could be quickly pressed into service.

Greg
w9gb