Input vs. Output

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Sat Dec 10 18:15:24 EST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Doug Shields wrote:

>      Some time later, I forget exactly when, the FCC changed the
> rules to
> regulate OUTPUT power.  This is a lot easier to measure.  Just put a
> wattmeter in your transmission line.  This is a lot easier to do in
> the real
> world.

Seems to me this change took effect in the summer of 1976. I had a
Novice ticket back then, and was using an SB-401 from which I had
removed one tube. I was able to run 75 w input easily.

After the rule change, Novices were allowed to run up to 200 w PEP
output. I got to put the second tube back in the SB-401 and would run
180 w input (about 60-100 watts out, depending on band).

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901