Sb-301

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sat Feb 5 17:59:31 EST 2005

Chris,

Took a quick look at the schematic and it looks like that resistor was
feeding dc power to the last filter cap. I'll wager a guess that the
electrolytic is bad - when they are that old, the chances are very good
that they are bad, going bad or will go bad in short order.  Hopefully
the 'smoke' is from an overheated (and failed) electrolytic and not a
nuked power transformer (which failed because of a bad electrolytic).
 If the former, you should be able to replace the cap(s) [more later] -
if the latter, you are probably left with a parts rig as power
transformers are hard to find.

Now to a replacement electrolytic - the old multi-section capacitors are
available but somewhat pricey. Or maybe a lot pricey! Antique Radio
(www.tubesandmore.com - I think) might have some. You could probably ask
on the list for more suggestions. As a suggestion, do not buy 'nos' (new
old stock) - not a good gamble.

Another suggestion for a replacements is to use new individual
electrolytics (www.mouser.com is one excellent source) - you either
disguise them inside the original capacitor case (after pulling the old
stuff out) or just put them underneath the chassis where-ever.  Again
some nice sources of the internet on how to do that.

The whole question of capacitor replacement was just played out here on
the list and the general concensus was - always replace the
electrolytics. If they haven't failed, they will soon.  So why fool
around.  The general subject also includes the question of 'reforming'
electrolytics and I can recommend the following web sites for information:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/projects/capacitor-reformer.shtml

http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/about_caps.html
Excellent overall analysis

http://www.vcomp.co.uk/tech_tips/reform_caps/reform_caps.htm
Just a replay of the angela site

http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/
Interesting little circuit to reform caps - I think I will try it (a
voltage tripler).

http://www.vmars.org.uk/capacitor_reforming.htm
Looks very interesting.

Good luck and hope it wasn't the transformer.  Chalk it all up to
experience and keep going!

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY