Jones plugs

Kevin Ward n2ie at ARRL.NET
Thu Feb 17 22:42:47 EST 2005

Recently I've seen postings on more than one of the lists concerning Jones
plugs; someone either wants a mating connector or a pinout diagram for a
particular rig.  I have at least four rigs that use the same version of
these critters and I sure wish there had been a wiring standard when these
radios were designed.  But no; I have to be very, very careful to use the
correct cable for each rig.

What I want to address here is the numbering of pins in these connectors.
Once upon a time I acquired a rig, along with the manual and the AC power
cable, but no DC cable.  Since I had the manual I figured this was no
problem since the mating connectors were plentiful and cheap.  I bought the
connector and set about making my DC cable.  For some reason, partway
through the wiring process I dug out a male connector, exactly like the one
on the radio, and plugged it into the cable I was making.  I don't know what
prompted me to compare the pin numbering on the two connectors but boy  -  -
was I in for a shock!  They didn't match.  If you laid the connectors on the
workbench with the wire loops up, all the numbers matched.  Obviously, if
you flip one connector over and push them together, the numbering is wrong.

The radio connector (a 12-pin male Jones plug) was made in the USA, the
other was made in the Orient.  Disassembly and inspection of the AC cord
confirmed that its wiring conformed to the schematic.  Had I finished the
new cable and plugged it into my radio I would have had a very bad day!

Take the time to inspect and compare any recently made connectors, Jones
plugs or otherwise, with the equipment you will be using them on.  Don't
assume that because they mate they are direct replacements or are correctly
made.  I was lucky.  You might not be.

Kevin  N2IE