HG-10B questions

TChesek@Epix.Net tchesek at EPIX.NET
Mon Feb 28 13:44:28 EST 2005

While trying to operate this past weekend's AM QSO party a station told me that it sounded like my signal was "FM"ing. I notice that when I spot this VFO I get noise in my receiver mainly when spotting but also get some noise without turning the control. It sounds as if I'm turning a noisy pot rather than a variable cap. I am using a DX-60A with this unit. The DX-60A is providing +347v to the VFO. R11 in the VFO is to be 10K and reads 10.6k which is within tolerance but it is only dropping the +347v to about +174v. The schematic calls for +108v at pin 5 of regulator 0B2. I swapped the 0B2 with a known good one and the voltage is more stable (I noticed the 0B2 would flash about 2 seconds after every transmit-the replacement does not do this) but it is still in the +174v range. The original 0B2, replacement and osc tubes check good in my Allied tube tester. Is my hv too hot at +174v? Can someone measure theirs and tell me what they get?

73 & thanks,

Tom k3tvc