Probable source of ~28.635 MHz interference

John H. Klingelhoeffer WB4LNM at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 6 07:04:41 EST 2005

Glen:

Your interfering signal on ~28.635 MHz is probably a whole lot less  sinister
than being extraterrestrial!

One of the reasons you and MANY others hear this signal is because it is
*exactly* the 8th harmonic of 3.579545 MHz, the TV color burst crystal
frequency.  However, it does NOT necessarily have to come from a  TV.  In fact, I had
an AT&T cordless phone/answering  machine several years ago that had an "S9+20"
birdie on 50.11363 MHz that I  had to hunt down using a portable receiver and
the breaker box.   50.11363 ended up being the 14th harmonic of 3.579545 MHz.
 After I figured  out what it was coming from, I looked at other harmonics,
and sure enough, it  was on 28.63636 MHz along with other frequencies.  That's
also probably why  you don't hear much of any modulation on it.  They also
normally drift a  bit in frequency due to house and unit temperature, and
naturally the  multiplication of the birdie may move it around a kilohertz or so as
you have  observed.

Many of the current plastic-cased, supposedly FCC compliant, unshielded
consumer appliances and toys use a TV color burst crystal for their embedded
processor clock.  They are very, very cheap in large quantities, only a  couple of
cents each.  In the case of the AT&T phone / answering  machine above, it was
mostly radiated from the line.  I took a large  ferrite toroid core, wrapped
about 20 turns of the DC line cord through the core  snugged right up against
the back of the machine, and it dropped the signal from  S9+20 to about S2 -
still detectable, but much less bothersome.  I'm sure  if I'd wanted to go
inside the machine and do some bypassing and shielding that  I could have made it
disappear entirely, but I'm not that avid an operator on  6M.

My suggestion would be to first eliminate appliances in your house  initially
as the potential source of the signal.  With the gracious  cooperation of
your family, pull all of the breakers for the other rooms of your  house except
for the one that has your radio equipment, and of course, unplug  anything in
their other than the radio and possibly the lights.  If the  birdie is still
there, you are going to have to go hunting down the street, but  you can do it
with a clean conscience.

It's then a matter of walking around the neighborhood with a portable HF
radio, hopefully with a BFO.  I have a little Sony unit that I use for  exactly
that.  Figure out where the signal is strongest, and then determine  the
relationship with that particular neighbor to discussing that they might  have a
device that is interfering with radio communications.  Remember that  this birdie
is every 3.579545 MHz, so in my case it was also on all kinds of  commercial
and public service frequencies as well as 10 and 6 meters.  How  you handle
the fix is a delicate subject that the ARRL treats pretty well in  their
literature.  I won't go into it here.

I've been hunting down these things for many years, and there ought to be  an
online database of devices known to emit stuff like this and how people "fix"
 them, but I don't know of one.  Seems to me like a job for a national
amateur radio organization, but I won't go there.

Happy hunting and 73.  I'd be interested in hearing what device you  find is
emitting this.

John...
WB4LNM
"One of the Hams from Heath (VHF/UHF Senior Design Engineer  1979-1981)"