Heathkit-GR-78

John jhutchins at CONNINC.COM
Wed Jan 19 22:12:36 EST 2005

David Hollander wrote:

> I picked up a real clean but not working GR-78 over the weekend. Tried
> applying power both 12 v and 110 v to the appropriate inputs but
> nothing. Anyone familiar with this radio before I really tear into it?
> I have downloaded the manual from BAMA.
>
> Tnx for any help,
>
> Dave N7RK

Check the nicad battery first. The 120 volt I believe is only to charge
the battery, so if battery is shot, no operate. Actually I don't think
the charger will run the radio , Seems like the 60 ma charger current is
less than it takes to run the radio. If the battery has any life left,
leave it in 120 volt overnight.
If the battery is shot you'll probably have to  put some sort of battery
pack in and charge it to play.
Hope this helps,
73,
John WB4NNY