HW-101

Ken, WA2LBI wa2lbi at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Jan 26 11:15:20 EST 2005

Terry,

I had a similar problem I traced to the audio output tube, V14, a 6GW8.  The S
meter indicated a received signal but the audio would decrease in volume.
Suddenly there would be a "pop" from the speaker and the audio would cut off
completely.  Keying the rig sometimes brought it back to life so I was looking
as the relays.  It turns out the 6GW8 was slowly developing an internal short
between pins 7 (cathode) and 8 (grid #1).  It finally became permanent which
helped me locate it fast!

73,

Ken, WA2LBI