HW9 advice solicited

john johnmb at NC.RR.COM
Tue Jul 12 18:46:36 EDT 2005

'Im working my way through two ailing HW9s (neither of which I built) and
making good progress. That is, until the Dreaded Cracked Core.  I found out
why on one rig, the power was strangely down on 12m...the core of one
inductor is cracked
which would explain why that band was never peaked.

The easy (!?) way of working on this, would be to get the coil off the
board so that I can get at top and bottom of the coilform. The difficulty
in the HW9 seems to be that there's no way to get to the bottom of either
board easily...maybe.

Has anyone been down this road before, and could tell me if there is a
straightforward method of getting to the solder side of the modules...ie:
is there a way ot getting the two boards loose, without disassembling the
whole bloody radio?

Thanks in advance!
John