Removing datak type press-on letters

PAUL PAGEL ppagel at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Jul 13 15:08:52 EDT 2005

You might try using a hair dryer to heat the unwanted labels. I've not tried it on panel labels, but have used the hair dryer to remove labels from floppy disks.

73,

Paul / N1FB

Ron <ra.ah at RCN.COM> wrote:
John King wrote:
> I have a Heath SB 200linear amplifier that someone
> modified band coverage on and replaced band numbers
> with press-on numbers. I want to return the amplifier
> to stock operation and replace the numbers with the
> stock number scheme. As you may know, the panel has
> textured paint as the stock paint.
>
> Has anyone removed press-on numbers without damaging
> the paint on the panel of the subject gear? If so,
> please share your SUCCESSFUL methods and give me your
> recommendations. As you may know, the paint is
> textured on the panel. Also, please give hints on
> re-applying the proper numbers. Thanks and 73, John,
> K5PGW

I have used 'Goo-Gone' to easily remove labels and
stickers (though never stickon letters). It does not
attack plastics or paint (even though I would check
on an unobtrusive corner before use) but dissolves
adhesives quickly. Apply a drop, let sit for 3 minutes,
then wipe off...

-- Ron

parties involved. This list and the City of Tempe are not responsible
for losses or misrepresentations of any kind. Buyer beware!