SX-101 trouble

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon at MOSCOW.COM
Sun Jul 17 02:07:37 EDT 2005

Bob:

Does the SX-101 have a dual or tapped primary? Is it possible that it
was set up for 240 VAC input and you are running it on 120 VAC?

To me, that is the most obvious possibility as long as your power
transformer is not smelling like burnt tar, nor getting hot.

Since the voltages you are measuring appear to be about 1/2 what they
should...

In the SX-101A, there are TWO transformers connected to the AC
input, they could have been wired in series instead of in parallel as they
should be.

In the MkII, there is only one transformer, and it only has a 120 VAC
primary.

In the MkIII, they went back to two transformers, and it would certainly
be possible for those to be wired in series.

I wonder if there isn't a wiring error.

Ken W7EKB