SB-401's 6146 tube questions

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jul 18 21:10:15 EDT 2005

1) Maximum output does not occur at plate current dip and possible
oscillation**.

2) If the same brand and type -- maybe not.

3) As Glen Zook has told us many times, 6146Bs should never be used in place
of 6146s or As. I concur with this as I have had a lot of problems with
6146Bs (even as matched pairs).

4) See 3)

** Disconnect 6146 plates at heavy BLUE wire underneath chassis at filter
caps. Be sure to discharge caps.

73, Stu W6CUX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Myers" <rsmyers at ROGERS.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 3:51 PM
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] SB-401's 6146 tube questions

I have a few questions regarding the final amplifier of the SB-401:

- What are the typical symptoms of an SB-401 when it requires neutralization
of the finals?

- Is it always mandatory re-neutralize if one or both finals are changed?

- Does it make a difference weather a 6146A or B pair is used in this rig?

- Can you use one 6146A tube and one 6146B together, or does that cause
problems?

Thanks,

--- Rob VE3JQL