Wagging DX-35 Meter

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Jun 5 19:25:48 EDT 2005

Tony -

Normal operation for those meters.  Not much to do about it other than
install a newer, better quality meter.  Some have limited success by
adding a capacitor across the meter to damp it a little, but it's a
trade-off between response time and "steadiness"!   Actually with a
little practice you get to where you can dip the final close enough to
keep from burning it up while you wait for the meter to settle down so
you can "fine-tune" the dip.  The transmitter is fine key-down for quite
a while as long as it's in resonance.  Then the key is to make only very
small adjustments to keep it from kicking off again.

A better behaving meter was installed starting with the DX-40, that was
one of the "improvements".

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake C-Line Service Manual