Taming reluctant chassis ground points

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Mon Mar 14 12:47:32 EST 2005

Greetings folks: I wonder if anyone who is a fan of the old rigs has solved the problem of getting a solid connection for chassis ground points, especially those that are riveted to an aluminum chassis. If the chassis is steel, soldering the rivet/chassis joint is a good solution if enough heat can be brought to bear. Usually just needs a reasonably strong solder gun. And screw connections can be tightened/cleaned.

But riveted joints on aluminum can be real baaad dudes. Is there a technique, magical juice or compound, hex potion, or love spell that anyone knows for sweetening up those dang wannabe diodes (brass, solder, aluminum — add a little lemon juice and you got a voltiac cell!)? I’m aware of drilling out the rivet and bolting as a technique, but that could get teed-jus.

73

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD (Extra Class) GQRP # 809
		Personal Webpage: http://www.wyttynys.net
		Office Webpage: http://www.pragmaticism.net
Email:
	home:	ketner(at)arisbeassociates(dot)com
	office: kenneth(dot)ketner(at)ttu(dot)edu

US MAIL
PO Box 65135
Lubbock, TX 79464