SB-102

Terry England W9cau at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 28 16:32:22 EST 2005

Hello, this must be 102 week or something. I have a SB-102 that is like new
inside and out you could eat of the inside it is just like it came from Heath
new in 1974. Well I got it from an other ham that told me it was not finished
as  a kit because of the original owner was an SK and he got it from his XYL.
Well  it worked when I got it but it had been aligned with the tube shields
missing on  V-7 V-6 V-1. I put shields on those tube like they are supposed to
have and the  output dropped to about half. So I just pulled them up off
ground on the tube  socket and the output came back to normal. While using it this
way for a while  the carrier would not stay nulled. I would have to touch it
up all the time. And  the S-meter will not zero like it should also I know this
is not related to the  other things with this radio. Than the audio started
to come and go sometimes it  would key and work and other times it will key but
won't have any audio. I  changed the relay tube and it started to work again
because 1/2 of that tube was  bad. Now it is doing the same again but the tube
is not bad this time. Well I  realigned the rig with the tube shields and the
out put is 0k on 20-15 10 but on  80-40 about half of what it should be.
Carrier nulls better now that it has been  realigned but still don't stay like it
should. But still it won't transmit in  LSB-USB tune ok I never checked cw but
it did work in cw before when it done  this. S meter won't zero don't have
any idea here. Any help will be welcome. It  receives fine now also better than
before. Tnx Terry w9cau