HW101 frying at power up

Joe Hutchens Wj5mh at AOL.COM
Sun May 1 23:27:52 EDT 2005

Thanks for the note, John.  Well, I spent a couple hours going over  the
radio this weekend looking for anything I may have missed, and I missed all  of
the ground connection across the back, which includes the power and various
accessory plugs.  Wouldn't you know.

I also cleaned the power switch, and looked for any carbon tracks on the
circuit boards and the main relay.

I did a complete and final alignment this afternoon, and had the rig on 40
CW for a couple short contacts tonight.  All appears OK.  The rig is  stable,
tunes smoothly and receive sounds great.  I monitored the CW note  and SSB
signal on another receiver here in the shack, too.

I made a few of the many published modifications, and checked the service
bulletins for any additional changes.

I picked up an HM-102 wattmeter at a Hamfest Saturday, so my station is now
complete with the HP-23, SB-600, HD-10 keyer and Heath desk mic.

Time and a few more air miles will tell if I have the "power-on" arching
issue fixed!

Thanks,
Joe

In a message dated 5/1/05  11:07:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
ve3jwh at SYMPATICO.CA writes:
Since the  radio was turned on in transmit mode, ie tune.  Have you checked
the  condition of the switch,  not sure if it can take the current of Xmit
during cycle.
Also check condition of the switch loop back to the power  supply,  have
found poor solder joints on this loop in HW100 and they are  similar.