SB 200 items

G. Beat gregory.beat at COMCAST.NET
Mon May 2 08:32:10 EDT 2005

>I have acquired a Heath SB 200 amplifier and the
> previous owner had begun modifications to put it on
> six (6) meters. I must remove some mods and make some
> repairs.
>
> First, Is harbach still in business? How do I contact
> them? If they are not still in business, where might I
> buy direct replacement electrolytic caps for the power
> supply?

John -
Harbach Electronics is open for business (and taking Internet orders) as of
May 1.
I just checked and the web ordering system is operational.
Jeff Weinberg has cleaned up (and recovered) from the flood earlier this
year.
Jeff is also planning on being at Dayton in 3 weeks booths # 2208 - 2210.
Here is the Harbach Electronics web page:
http://www.harbachelectronics.com/

Electrolytic caps are more compact than they were 30-years ago, so you may
not be able to find an "exact" replacement.
I believe that the original capacitors were about 35 mm (1.375 inches) in
diameter.  Start by matching this physical diameter - to minimize you amount
of rework.  The new capacitors may be shorter in overall height.

Here is the CDE/Mallory Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor catalog
http://www.cde.com/alumframe.htm

You can purchase replacement electrolytic capacitors from Mouser
Electronics, who is a reseller for CDE/Mallory, Sprague and United ChemiCon
products.  Start at page 482 of the on-line catalog.  IF you do not see the
capacitor listed on the CDE/Mallory web site - Mouser can get it (since
CDE's stopped direct sales from their web site 2 weeks ago).
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/621/482.pdf

OR you can purchase the Harbach PW-202 which is a combination of a new power
PC board, components and a "soft-start" function.

> What is the paint code for the cabinet (not front
> panel) of the SB 200 linear? Is this a Sherwin
> Williams available paint? The cabinet has been
> stripped. Should I use a primer? Would Zinc Chromate
> primer be used as the primer?

Computer matching is available at most Shermin-Williams stores.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/store_locator/store.jsp

Glen Zook has documented his experiences with Heath paint
http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco/Faux_Heathkit_Paints.htm

> The amp seems clean and complete other than the mods.

I would recommend that you read Bob Norgard's excellent web article (with
photos)
Heathkit SB-200 Rebuild Notes
http://home.gci.net/~rnorgard/ampnotes.html

Tom Snowden's notes on SB-200
http://www.k0gkd.com/sb200.htm

Ton, W8JI notes on the 572B
http://www.w8ji.com/572b_problems.htm

Additional parts, you may want or need
http://www.somis.org/Price-Info.html

More Notes
http://www.dwave.net/~twomules/sb200.html

Contact Carl, K1MH if the earlier failed conversion "pulled" some needed
parts.
He may have some of those key components from his 6 meter conversion work
http://www.uksmg.org/1kw.htm