3-500's

Ray Friess rayfri at HIGHSTREAM.NET
Sat May 7 13:11:00 EDT 2005

I'm not sure about the drive power being applied in increments...
However, when it comes to
the subject of leaving the filaments on for an extended period of time,
I can offer a bit of advice
from personal experience...

In my case, I was getting ready to put a 30L-1 on the air (four 811
tubes, not the 3-500z tubes)
and I turned on the filaments for a few minutes to check on the fan
operation, etc.
I got distracted and left the shack for the night.   It was the next
morning when I went back down
into the shack that I noticed the amp was still powered up.    It had
run in standby with the filaments
on all night long (about 8 hours).   Nothing had gone wrong or shorted
or anything like that.... it was
in perfect shape.

So, I would say dont worry about leaving the 3-500 filaments on for 10
hours.   Unless youre worried
that the filter caps or other power supply components may be a bit sour
and could go if powered up
for an extensive period of time, you should have no problems.   It wont
be much different than if
you left the shack lights on all night.    A filament is a filament
...    leaving a light bulb on all night doesnt
harm it, and while a tube filament is a bit different than a light bulb
filament, the principle is the same...
so there shouldnt be any problem....