SB-401 Info needed

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 7 19:10:45 EDT 2005

The 6AW8 versus the 6AW8A isn't going to make a "hill
of beans" difference.

You can "mix" a 6146 with a 6146A.  The only real
difference is the fact that the 6146A has what is
called a "dark heater".  The dark heater allows for a
much more excursion in heater (filament) voltage while
maintaining the same power output.

However, definitely do NOT mix a 6146B / 8298A / 6146W
with the earlier versions 6146 / 6146A / 8298.

The article on the 6146 family of tubes that was
published in Electric Radio a while back (and in
several other publications since then) can be found on
either of the websites the URL of which appear at the
end of this message.

RCA was the original source of the 6146 family of
tubes and many people consider them to be the best.
Sylvania, Amperex, and a couple of other manufacturers
made the 6146 family.  However, many "brands" of the
tubes (like Motorola, General Electric, etc.) were
actually made by another company (i.e. RCA).

What you need is a shield for a 7-pin minature tube
(medium length).  There are shorter shields for tubes
like the 6AL5 / 6AK5 and longer ones for tubes like
the 6AQ5.

Glen, K9STH

--- James Cundiff <dadofpetie at COMCAST.NET> wrote:

There is a 6AW8A tube in V8 when there is supposed to
be a 6AW8. How important is this? I also discovered
that I have 1-6146 (no brand name) and 1-6146A  RCA
final tubes! Hows that for a matched set? I know that
I should have 6146 finals but I seem to remember
something about one brand working better than another.
 Does anyone have a spare locking aluminum shield for
the little tube on the LMO? This is slightly smaller
than the other two shields on V9 and V8.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth
http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco