HW-101 Bias Levels?

Joe Hutchens Wj5mh at AOL.COM
Sat May 7 21:23:05 EDT 2005

I now understand the bias and level circuit of the HW-101, and it's  simple.
The bias supply is unregulated.  When switching between the  various modes,
the resistance has to be the same, so the current draw stays  about the same.
Heath did this by switching in identical resistors when  changing from USB/LSB
to CW (47K, 47K and 57K ).

The value of my 47K  resistors ranged from 52K to 54K ohms.  Changing these
resistors now gives  me the proper 50 ma idle current for both USB/LSB, and CW.
 When switching  to tune, only one 47K resistor is placed in parallel with
57K, so there is less  of a voltage drop and less current drawn.  The ALC now
stays more negative,  and power out is less, as ma.locksmith indicates below.
Idle current  looks to be about 35 ma.

I didn't see this is my manual, and I  thought I had all the pages.

Joe