HW-101 - shorted final amp.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon at MOSCOW.COM
Fri May 13 22:19:16 EDT 2005

I have been working on a couple of HW-101s here recently, repairing,
aligning, neutralizing, upgrading.

I had just finished aligning one, using the later Heathkit method of
removing plate and screen voltages from the final amp, hooking up an
oscilloscope to the RF output jack, and adjusting everything for
minimum RF output.

I put it all back together, turned it on and promptly 1) blew the PS fuse,
a 4 amp slowblow, and 2) burned up the 2.2 Ohm @ 2 watts cathode
resistor.

After much testing and checking, the upshot was that one of the final
amp 6146As had shorted internally so badly that +HV from the plate
supply was appearing various places where it wasn't wanted or needed.

I put in two new finals, re-neutralized, and everything seems fine now.

I was quite surprised, having never had a final amp tube do such weird
things before.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ken W7EKB