DZKit announces Sienna Transceiver

WD Milner heath at CAISTEAL.NET
Sun May 15 13:44:28 EDT 2005

At 2005-05-15 Sunday 09:05 -0600, BMW <wood at LPBROADBAND.NET> wrote:
>It's a fun kit, but no corners have been cut to make it one. There are 10
>boards in the unit - 2 OEM (the PC and the LDG Z-100 tuner), 4 pre-assembled
>by us (RF amp, low/high-pass filters, controller, audio amp) using a heavy
>amount of surface mount technology, and 4 that the kitbuilder gets to build.
>Those last four are the front panel, IF, IF filter and DC power distribution
>boards, all through-hole.
>
>It's pricy, but for what you get, much less than a comparable assembled rig.
>Isn't that what Heathkit was all about?

Pricey is an understatement <chuckle>. Frankly, I think that equipment
manufacturers are slowly pricing the hobby away from up to date technology
(witness Yaesu's latest $10,000+ transceiver) and eventually the barrier
will be high enough that younger new hams will just not bother. I realize
that isn't the market you are aiming at however.

It is a nice looking radio for them as can afford it and I congratulate you
on the new company. For myself, I don't need a PC in my radio (and
certainly not one that relies on Microsoft Windows) but I'm sure it will be
a success with those who like such things.

Congratulations on the new company and helping to bring back kit making. I
wish you every success!

73, Dean
VE1CBF