VTVM test lead

G. Beat gregory.beat at COMCAST.NET
Sun May 15 14:44:58 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Leonard" <radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] vtvm test lead

> The probes are on page 1468 in Mouser catalog 622.
> There are two stock numbers.The black one is 17PR122. The red one one is
> 17PR121.
> They cost $1.23 each.
> The proper phone plugs are  military  surplus type PL55.
> Try Fair Radio Sales or Surplus Sales of Nebraska for those.
> Hosefelt Electronics has the RG58/AU by the foot at 14 cents per foot.
> If you put that resistor inside the VTVM case you defeat the whole design
> purpose and philosophy of the Heath engineers and limit the usefulness of
> your VTVM.
> Malcolm Leonard

Malcolm -

An update.

I have talked to both Fair Radio Sales, SSN as well as Switchcraft (here in
Chicago) regarding the PL55 1/4" plug (with wide insulation between tip and
sleeve - where ring would be for a stereo style plug).

Not avaialble.
Could Switchcraft mfg it ? ... Yes, BUT the minimum $$ is high for set-up
for such a production run.

I have also researched locating the threaded alligator clip that went on the
tip of the original Heath probe.  No current test lead/clip mfg. (e.g.
Mueller, others) produces these in the 4-40 thread (large threads - yes).

Greg
w9gb