Parting out SB401

Hudson, Steve (RBI-US RCD) sdhudson at REEDBUSINESS.COM
Sun Nov 6 21:20:20 EST 2005

Parting out an SB401 transmitter, which ended up here on my bench for that
purpose. Let me know if there is anything you might need. Here's what
appears to be here (and a few things that are not here):

- The boards appear to be intact (though minus tubes).
- Power transformer has some rust on the bottom but windings check okay on a
VTVM.
- Sorry, variable caps are missing, but tank coil is intact.
- It also has a complete set of hetrodyne and other crystals.
- Most of the small adjustable coils look in good shape.
- Two of the rotary switches (band switch and mode switch) look like
something was dropped on them and are pretty mangled. The function switch,
however, appears to be undamaged.
- Sorry, meter is missing.
- Dial mechanism looks in very good shape.
- Both lever knobs are intact.
- Unit still has three of the small skirted knobs. Alas, other skirted
knobs, and main tuning knob, are missing.
- Small metal dial set knob is intact and functional
- Front panel has some scuffs on left edge, a scuff on top right edge, and a
scratch above meter hole but otherwise looks pretty good
- Main plastic "Heathkit" bezel is in very good shape
- PTO appears to be intact.
- Crystal filter is intact and in good condition.

Please do note that I have not checked out any of the electronics, except
for the VTVM resistance check on the power transformer, so everything is
as-is.

If you can use anything to restore or work on another 401, let me know. I'd
like to see the parts and assemblies go where they can be used, so
reasonable offers are fine.

Thanks,

Steve AA4BW