DX-100

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 9 17:11:38 EDT 2005

There were at least three modification kits available
from Heath for the DX-100.  The first was to change
the antenna loading circuit from a 50 pf variable and
switched fixed capacitors.  DX-100 transmitters thus
modified were called DX-100A units (that is why when
Heath came out with the next version it was called the
DX-100B).

The second modification kit added a spotting switch so
that the transmitter could be "zero beated" without
putting it on the air.  This modification kit also
changed the CW keying arrangement to eliminate chirp
and clicks.  A hole did have to be drilled in the
front panel of all of the dX-100 series to add the
spotting switch.

The third modification kit was to add capabilities of
using the SB-10 SSB adapter.  The DX-100B chassis was
"punched" for two additional SO-239 r.f. jacks to
connect the SB-10.  The DX-100 (and DX-100A) had to
have holes drilled in the rear of the chassis for
suitable connectors.  All of the DX-100 series had to
have the front panel drilled to accept the mode
switch.

Adding a third 6146 was NOT a Heath modification.

As for a good choice of receivers, and of the Collins
75A- series would be an excellent choice.

Glen, K9STH

--- Robert L Lasso <rlasso at ZIANET.COM> wrote:

Noticed on some websites that there are manuals for
DX-100 with 3X 6146, DX-100 Mk I - SSB mod and DX-100
Mk III - Load control mod. I assume that the load
control mod is adding the 3 gang variable capacitor
and eliminating the step capacitor switch. I am
curious about the SSB mod since this rig seems to have
it with two BNC's on the back chassis apron with input
and output in the area of the driver.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth