DX-60 Kit: Modern Equivalents

LEON WENDLER electronicparts2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 11 11:58:10 EDT 2005

we have a lot of EXACT sprague twist lock cans also
cde, mallory on our website. these are new old stock
with sprague part #'s listed. you may be lucky and see
one you need. we also have tons more here not listed
yet and a lot of black beauties from srague. also tons
of mallory replacement rotory switches. we even have
j.w. miller coils in boxes from 1950/60 like IF
(262khz, 10.7mhz 4.5mhz. a lot of the old 7000 series.
discrimiater coils. as i sort it it will get listed.
our ebay store lists about 30,000 allen bradly
resistors. in maybe 20 different values and more here
not listed as low as 10 cents each only. (link is on
main page of our website. radio tube sockes are here
also, orange drop cap's. we even have tons of exact
heathkit parts with heat part #'s I already listed a
few i think. need candy stripe cap's  as soon as i can
read color code i will list them. also 10/15 pounds of
molded mica caps with the dots. so the point is this
REBUILD OLD STUFF USING EXACT PARTS. keep those tubes
glowing with oridgenal parts. website is
www.tech-systems-labs.com
leon @ technology systems

> I'd use the same kind for all but the tubular. Those
> are probably paper and
> have changed value. Depending on frequency, I would
> replace them with
> polystyrene or polypropylene (for LF/audio) or disk
> ceramic (for HF). Not
> sure about feed-through. Those were probably
> ceramic. You probably already
> know you should also replace all the electrolytics
> if you can. The cans may
> be kind of hard to replace. If they aren't leaking,
> hook them up  to a power
> supply in an RC configuration and measure the time
> constant, then calculate
> their capacitance. If they check out, go ahead and
> use them! Or else gut
> them and put some modern tubular electrolytics
> inside.
>
> You should ohm out the resistors, too. It might be
> hard to find 1/2, 1, 5
> and 10W resistors in the values they used back then.
> Check Mouser and
> DigiKey. You may be able to use a lot of the
> existing resistors, though. Run
> some current through them and see if they change
> value as they heat up.
>
> Brian, W0DZ
>

> Hi Folks! I will be building (yes, and no doubt
> lowering the value of) a
> Heath DX-60 xmtr kit. I want to order all new
> resistors and capacitors and
> replace them with their modern equivalents. There
> are a few different types
> of caps I need help with. What should i replace the
> following Cap types
> with?
>
> Molded Mica
> Silver Mica
> Disc Ceramic
> feed-through
> tubular
>
> Thanks!
> 73
> Paul

Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter