Looking for Tips on Paint Stripping - SB-102 cabinet

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 23 12:25:05 EDT 2006

Just go to your local home improvement center and look
in the paint department.  There you will find all
sorts of paint strippers.  I usually get the cheapest
around since they all work pretty much the same.

While you are there get a pair of cheap rubber gloves,
a cheap "putty knife" and a cheap paint brush (not one
of those foam types but with real bristles).  All of
this should come to about $10 to $12.

Work outside and "paint" the stripper onto the surface
of the cabinet.  Let stand until the paint is
"bubbling" off of the surface.  Use the putty knife to
scrape the paint.  You will notice that Heath usually
did not prime the surface before painting.  After
getting the paint removed, use a garden hose and wash
the cabinet.  Any small areas of paint that remain
will have to be sanded off.

After the paint is removed and the cabinet cleaned,
you are going to have to prime the surface (I use the
97 cent spray can primer from WalMart - it is as good
as any that cost much more).  Then you are going to
have to put on a new crackle.  I use Rusteolum
American Accents Stone Creations for this.  You want
the gray color because this does the best job.
Practice for a few mintues on a piece of cardboard
until you get the "feel".  I usually hold the can back
about 16 inches from the surface and spray in short
bursts.  Let this dry for about an hour and then paint
with the desired color.

Heath used no less than 5 different shades of green
for the SB-Line cabinets and there was no rhyme or
reason as to just when a particular color was used.
Only the SB-104 was consistant in color and that color
is, in my opinion, the most pleasing to look at.  If
you need the formula for Sherwin-Williams to produce a
quart of this color let me know and I'll forward you
the formula.

By the way, the crackle goes on the outside of the
cabinet.  The inside is smooth.

Glen, K9STH

--- Jim Flanagan <jflan at TAMPABAY.RR.COM> wrote:

I am attempting to completely strip the paint from the
cabinet of an SB-102 that was in bad shape.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth
http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco