Black Wrinkle HW 16

DavidGriffin N2chi n2chi at ARRL.NET
Tue Aug 15 16:47:17 EDT 2006

>>>how you got the rub-on/decals to lay down on top of the wrinkle finish?
Just the normal dry transfer lettering.  It does not lay down quite as well as on a truly flat surface, but it appears to be fine.

>>>Did you have to bake this crackle finish?<<<
Not exactly.  I have heard of folks first "baking" the metal in a regular kitchen oven at 100 to 150 F for 20 minutes.  But I used a heat gun and I frankly don't even know if it's necessary.  I blew it over the metal for a minute or two, then sprayed on the wrinkle paint, then blew it again until it wrinkled.  The process is probably not all that critical.  Something tells me it would wrinkle without heat.  I'm itching to try it on plexiglass.  I suspect it won't work.  I have made a few plexiglass front panels for some home brew stuff.  Painted black, of course.  Regular Krylon satin works fine on plexiglass.  As a test when I first began using it,  I sprayed a 1 by 8 inch strip.  After drying, I bent and unbent, bent again and unbent it into a circle and the paint never stretched, wrinkled or lifted.  Great stuff.

>>>look of a 1930's style radio if that is what the goal was.
Well, not exactly, but sort of.  The HW 16 now sits very nicely near my Harvey Wells TBS50D Bandmaster Deluxe transmitter, circa 1947 (powered by the 300 vdc  LV line of a Heathkit HP 23.)

>>>I guess I just don't get it...
You just don't hate Heathkit Green as much as I do, hi hi.  (Plus, the original case was already painted an even worse imitation and the panel was severely faded when I got it.)

>>>Not really my taste, but to each his own.
Amen to that.
Dave