need DX-100 advice

TChesek@Epix.Net tchesek at EPIX.NET
Fri Aug 25 14:12:58 EDT 2006

I'm still in the process of repairing my bargain DX-100 and finally have RF coming out. On CW I measure 125-140 watts, depending on frequency, into my HM-2140/Cantenna. In the Phone mode I also measure approximately the same values, carrier...then when I talk into the microphone the power reading drops dramatically. If I whistle continually for 5 seconds or so the measured power will drop to around 30 watts. Additionally, regardless of the audio gain setting, the audio is distorted to the point of being unintelligent. It has the sound of audio that is overdriving an amplifier. The audio gain control setting does vary the output level but the distortion is the same regardless to the level setting. I am using an unamplified D-104 which I previously used with my DX-60 plus I tried the D-104 mic head that I use on my HW-100, so I know that the mic is not the problem. I am monitoring the audio through my RX-1 receiver. I swapped the 12AX7 and 12BY7 tubes in the audio chain with know good ones from other radios. They also test good on my Knight 600 emission tester. I don't have any 1625 subs but am looking for a better approach to finding the problem. I have a T-3 Signal Tracer and a IG-102 Signal generator that has a 400 hz audio signal. It's one thing to use these signals to track a problem through to a speaker but can I put either to use in this modulation transformer circuit? Ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

73,
Tom K3TVC