6146 Replacement

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZONONLINE.NET
Fri Aug 25 18:12:52 EDT 2006

On 25 Aug 2006 at 11:55, Davies, Doug A FOR:EX wrote:

> I'm currently working on fixing up a Heathkit DX-40 transmitter.  When
> dipping the plate and peaking the grid current into a dummy load I can
> only get about 55ma out of the 6146 final.  The manual says it should
> show 125ma when properly tuned.  With each increase in loading the
> plate current starts at a higher level but than drops down to 55ma.  I
> checked the 6146 and it appears to be faulty.  I would like to replace
> it but I'm not sure which of the 6146 variants to use.  I checked a
> few sources on the net and I couldn't find any plain 6146's, just the
> A, B, or W variants.  Which one will cross over?

The DX-40 is NOT picky as to 6146 variants: any will do, including
the 6293, which is a pluse-rated 6146.

Just plug in what you have.

In fact, if you really WANTED to, you could plug a 2E26 into it also,
but you would have to run it at much reduced power.

The base connections are identical.

The DX-40 is a nice transmitter.

Ken W7EKB