Howdy, from Wyoming

Spencer Allen smallen at COMCAST.NET
Tue Aug 29 21:52:43 EDT 2006

Reminds me of a switching power supply I used to work on for a high
PRF laser.  It had, among other things, 8 TO-3 switching transistors
in one leg.

When one of these failed it would take out the other 7.  The failure
itself was spectacular.  The emitter leads were missing.  The wire to
the emitter lead was still intact including the solder joint - but no
emitter lead.  The glass seal in the bottom of the TO-3 where the
emitter lead used to be was sealed shut.  here was a hole in the top
of the TO-3 above where the emitter lead should have been.  We never
could find the emitter lead so we never knew if it had been ejected
at high velocity or just evaporated.  (I guess I really mean
sublimated since it would have gone fro solid to vapor.)

We were using some expensive Delco transistors in the power supply.
We ran out and Delco quit making them.  We replaced them with some
generic el-cheapo horizontal fly-back transistors and never had
another failure.

We also invented the SEC (Smoke Emitting Capacitor) and the FER
(Flame Emitting Resistor).

Anyone remember the spec sheet National Semiconductor put out for the
Write-Only Memory?

Mike, K4JEM

"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can
be counted counts."

     Albert Einstein.